Wednesday, July 18, 2007

The cooler side of England...








From Dublin, I flew into London Gatwick, and from there I took the train back over to Bristol.

And OMG, I loved Bristol. It's a really laid back city with a mountain of ridiculously interesting things to do. I got in early afternoon and just roamed around a little bit...got used to the pound which is incredibly frustrating because of the exchange rate, but so it goes.

My second day in Bristol was amazing! I started out at the St. Nicolas Market, which was off the chain wonderful...tons of vendors of jewelery, textiles, etc. I also had lunch from this great little stand called About Soup. I had their coconut Thai soup with a really tasty tabbouleh. I also seemed to find it necessary to drop all my money on these really beautiful throw pillow cases made out of saris...they are absolutely wonderful, and I know I could have gotten them a lot cheaper from the source, but oh well.

After the market, I got on the bus to Glastonbury, although the festival had already passed through, basically the week before me, I still wanted to see the city...more like town. Anyways, the abbey was absolutely amazing! I got to see where King Arthur and the Queen are supposedly buried which was fun. After that I went up to the Glastonbury Tor, which is this big tower on top of an ancient hill that is either the gateway to the underworld or where Avalon receded into the mists...your choice basically. All I know is that the town was something special, I can totally see what all the commotion is about because it's like when you go to Machu Picchu, there's an energy that is unmistakable. I fell in love.

No comments: