Monday, July 30, 2007

And so it ends...














The morning I woke up to go to London, I just couldn't believe it was almost over...6 months it'd been since I left home for Spain, and it was all about to end in just 3 short days. I road into Waterloo with these great girls I'd met from Australia who were traveling around for a month or so. My hostel was in beautiful Notting Hill, right on the edge of Kensington Park...so off I went.

My first hours there I spent them wandering through Kensington and Hyde Park...I met this woman, Nadia, from Germany who showed me around a bit...all the way through to Oxford St. and Soho. After I'd gone back and had dinner I decided to stop by Harrod's...the most overwhelmingly expensive store I've ever been in. Pretty good start to London!

Second day. I decided to go on the Free Tour which was just as great as the one I went on in Amsterdam...basically we went around to ever possible thing you'd want to, so I got my London covered. The rest of the day was spent with an old friend of my dad's in Camden Town. Thank you Anita for introducing me! That part of London is just great...there's tons of little shops and vendors everywhere, and a great place to finish up with any last minute gifts that you might need for family and friends. After Camden Town I just wandered around St. James Park which was by far my favorite of the parks in London.

My final day in London was wonderfully relaxed. I woke up and started my trek through Kensington and Hyde Parks...through Green and St. James Park...and as I came out of st. James Park and up to Buckingham Palace I realized I'd made a horrible mistake...what I hadn't thought about was that it was 11:15 am as I made my way past the palace...11:15 am means that all the tourist are rushing the Palace for the changing of the guard at 11:30 am...I've never been more terrified in my life. I literally almost got knocked over by this crazy tourist family backed by the rest of the tourist in London. Lesson learned. NEVER EVER BE IN THE AREA OF BUCKINGHAM PALACE BETWEEN THE HOURS OF 10AM-12PM.

After my near death experience I continued along past Parliament and the Thames River and onto the South Bank which is just a wonderful part of London...highly recommend it. It was just a wonderful day to be out...it only sprinkled once. I came up to the Millennium Bridge and made my way to the last museum adventure in Europe...it was a good one to finish on, the Tate Modern. Luckily they were having a Dali exhibit as well where I got to see his Disney movie, totally hot...called Destino...seriously amazing.

After that I walked just a little further past the Globetheater, on to the London Bridge, finally up to Tower Bridge.

The following morning I made my way to the airport and got squeezed onto a flight that was a good 4 hours earlier than my original flight! After the lovely trip that is customs I came out to baggage claim where I was greeted by my lovely father and my beautiful mother who was waiting for us in the car.

No comments: