Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Stones upon stones.





In the morning, I realized I had made a terrible mistake. I arrived at Temple Meads train station about 10 am, just in time to catch the 10:22 am train. What I had not taken in to consideration was the time and date. Saturday and late morning is not a good time to try to get somewhere...because people aren't waking up to get on the 7am-9am trains...they want the 10am-12pm trains...HORRIBLE! DISASTER...I mean, 2 cars! 2 cars only! standing room only! for almost 2 hours. Not cool...when I alighted from the helltrain I was greeted by more of England's incessant drizzle and the quaint town of Salisbury, gateway to Stonehenge.

Salisbury is a great little city...their cathedral is absolutely wonderful! However, my favorite thing of all in the city was The India Shop. It was one of those shops that just has everything...but the best part about it was the woman who worked there. The nicest woman I think...not originally from Salisbury by the sound of her accent...she sort of reminded me of Mrs. Doubtfire's accent. My trip there wowed me with some good old customer service!

Besides the India Shop, I had just a great time in my hostel...it was in this beautiful old house up a long drive so it was nice and peaceful. I hadn't had that for a while so it was pretty nice. They had a T.V. and I spent an obscene amount of my time watching it...oh well, sometimes you just need a break.

The important thing is that I made it to Stonehenge. It was beautiful...A bunch of stones, but it was a beautiful bunch of stones. It had this quiet sort of vibe to it, despite the entire this huge tour bus pulling up right when I got there...not sorry I did it.

No comments: