Saturday, June 23, 2007

Gaillimh slash Galway














June 23

Ireland was my dream...and I'm lovin it! I've just had a brilliant time in Cork, and I know Galway's gonna be just great. Today I didn't do much but wander around a little bit. Along the beach a bit and then back into the city to wander up and down the streets, saw the Spanish Arch and the cathedral, and that was basically it. Tomorrow I'll be going to the Cliffs ofMoher and the Burren and then Monday I'll be at Inis Mor, the largest of the Aran Islands...will definitely update on how that goes!

June 24

I joined Desmond on the Cliffs of Moher and Burren tour today by way of the Galway Tour Company, and it was great. Desmond is this crazy old man whose been eating too many oysters (as he reminded us throughout the day, they're an aphrodisiac)...it makes him a little too saucy, but he's great anyways! always jokin. You can see the trajectory on their website ( www.galwaytourcompany.com ).

June 25

Today I went to Inish Mor, the largest of the Aran Islands, which was absolutely amazing! They say that it used to be connected with the Burren and that's why it has limestone all over the place just like that...and then they also say it was connected on the other side with Connemara...anyhoo, whatever that means, it was really pretty. My tour guide was Martin, a native of the island. That man was some pretty deep stuff! The primary income of the islands now is tourism, but before it used to be all fishing, and he still goes out, even all the way up to Norway and does some of that crazy intense fishing...think Perfect Storm style. Inish Mor is just covered with those awesome Irish stone walls, Martin said 3000 miles of it.

Next time I come back, if I come back, which i would love too...someone needs to keep me away from those sweater shops! they're completely dangerous for me because those things are just so cozy and wonderful.

I tried some awesome Aran Chowder at a restaurant right down by the port...shoulda had the fish and chips, but I was just so chilled to the bone from all that wind and stuff I just had to get the soup.

Also I got to go up to that big fort they have which was off the chain...it's up on top of this cliff, that's just straight down...and then wind is coming up over your back, drivin straight into the Atlantic, and it's a freakin powerful wind...but it's just beautiful...powerful you could say, because it feels like you're standing on the edge of the earth looking out to where everything just ends.

Last day on the westside of Ireland = very good. Tomorrow, Dublin...and if one more person tells me how horrible it is...I just might not go!

No comments: